Following is a recent report from an iGR study regarding how mobile operators can utilize femotcells to provide better coverage and improved customer satisfaction for users.
iGR study shows that consumers give their mobile operator a B
Despite the continued influx of smartphones and press concerning data usage, iGR’s most recent
U.S. consumer survey found that voice network quality is the factor end users consider most when rating their operator.
Fortunately, 65 percent of those surveyed also indicated experiencing “excellent” or “very good” in-home cellular voice reception, but what about the remaining 35 percent? What could help extend “excellent”
residential voice coverage to all users?
In May 2012, iGR surveyed more than 1,000 U.S. consumers about their current use of mobile phones and wireless technologies, and specifically inquired about their wireless service experience, how they rate their carrier and view in-home voice reception, and their awareness of residential femtocells. This new report details our findings.
While approximately 47 percent of consumers do not know what a femtocell is, just 2 percent of
respondents reported currently using a femto. Residential femtocells could have a measurable impact on subscriber’s wireless service experience and rating. Close to 57 percent of respondents would raise their carrier's grade by a full letter or plus sign if supplied a femtocell device.
"While many people are not aware of residential femtocells, the fact is that many people have poor
or marginal in-home cellular coverage," said Iain Gillott, president and founder of iGR, a market research consultancy focused on the wireless and mobile industry. "In-home coverage is one of the main ways consumers measure the 'quality' of the cellular network and assess the relative value for money. iGR's latest research finds that if a mobile operator were to offer residential femtocells, they could significantly improve their rating in the eyes of the consumer, potentially moving from a 'B' to a 'B+' or an A".
iGR’s new market research report, Residential Femtocells: Impact on Carrier Grades, provides details on how consumers view in-home coverage, the factors that drive their assessment of their mobile operator’s service, awareness and use of femtocells, and how a femtocell would improve the rating their give their
iGR’s new market research report, Residential Femtocells: Impact on Carrier Grades, details the wireles sservice experience and the awareness of residential femtocells among U.S. consumers as of May 2012, and addresses the following questions:
- What do they consider in such a
- What kind of in-home voice
reception are U.S. consumers experiencing?
- What do they consider in
assessing in-home reception?
- Are U.S. consumers aware of
- What demographics own
- How do residential femtocells
impact a U.S. consumer’s wireless service experience?
- How does a residential
femtocell impact the grade consumers give to their mobile operator?
- How can operators use
residential femtocells to improve the consumer experience?
The new report can be purchased and downloaded directly from iGR’s website, providing immediate access to a digital copy of the research. Alternatively, contact Iain Gillott at (512) 263-5682 or at email@example.com for additional details on this report as well as information on the Wireless and Mobile Landscape advisory service.